This costume is for the lovely
who requested for this commission/art trade the uniform worn by the main character in Strawberry Panic.
now has some pics up of her in the costume! [link]
Squee! She just looks so adorable!
Ok! Costume construction! This really wasn't so bad....most of the time anyways. Hehe.
Cost: approx. $80
I used 3 patterns. A colonial period costume for the main body of the dress, a renaissance dress solely for use of the sleeves, and another skirt pattern for the petticoat.
I followed the pattern for the period dress almost to a T, except I shortened the length and ignored the finishing touch ups on the collar and cuffs for a while. After constructing the sleeves via the renaissance pattern I attached them to the body. Later on I ended up unstitching half of it because the sleeve drooped too much and I needed to pull them up higher.
To make both the collar and cuffs I drew out the basic shapes of each on tissue paper to make my own pattern. Using this pattern I cut 4 pieces for the cuffs(2 for each arm) and 2 for the collar. With right sides together I stitched them leaving the ends open. Before I flipped them right-side out I ironed on interfacing to BOTH sides of the fabric. So each piece of fabric was backed up with interfacing. I did this so all the pieces were extra sturdy for the work ahead. After turning them right-side out I ironed them to get them flatter and smoother. Next I drew out the shape of the cut out design on extra thick paper, cut them out, and traced them with a pencil everywhere they needed to be. I stitched over my pencil marks and when I was done I used both a thread ripper and a tiny pair of scissors in order to cut out the designs inside the stitching. It was easy, but VERY time consuming. I had to make sure I cute away as much of the thread still fraying down to the stitching as I could. Collar and cuffs were then attached to the dress. Because of the interfacing the fraying was limited and everything stood stiff and clean [link]
in gravity defying directions!
Using the directions on my machine, I discovered just how easy button holes can be! Horray!! I did 9 of these I believe and added simple black buttons.
The pattern for the petticoat I altered slightly in length, only using one of the many ruffles provided. The ruffle part gave me the MOST trouble. You have to gather the fabric before you sew it on. So I did my loose stitching in sections and every time I tried to bunch the fabric my thread kept breaking!!! ARGH! Took me an entire day to get the stuff gathered and onto the petticoat!! *fist shakey* I added a zipper and mini snaps to the back(since I didn't have hook and eyes handy).
For the tie, I just traced my own tie onto fabric, cut 2 pieces, kept them sandwiched together and stitched. Leaving the small side open, I flipped it right-side out and closed the opening. After ironing I couldn't find a trim or ribbon for the strip that looked clean enough so I used black marker instead.
While it was a fairly simple costume, which was nice and relaxing, I did get to try out a few new things and that made me really happy. Finally learning how to make buttonholes was a thrill! I'm also happy that my ideas for the cuffs and collar worked out smoothly and there was no need to go back and reworked the plan. Thank god cause I didn't have enough fabric to make mistakes! O___O;;;
I got really lucky with the fabric choices. The black is a really nice non-wrinkle material with a little stretch that feels like it would go on a business suit. The girl who sold it to me quoted me $6/yrd, cut me the 5 yards I asked for, only to find out that the fabric was $20/yrd. But it was already too late since she cut the fabric. She had no choice but to charge me her original quote! Whoopie!!
The shop that sold me the cream colored fabric said that it was cotton and silk blend, or something like that anyways. I snagged it for $6/yrd as well. I used all 4 yards that was purchased.
I didn't have time to go back into Manhattan when I got down to the tie, so I was forced to go to my local fabric store, Joann's, which is mostly garbage. They have limited selections and their prices suck. Anyhoo, my goal was to find a nice a fabric as possible for a tie if I couldn't find silk. I didn't, but did find a polyester with a nice flow to it. I only needed a yard so I grabbed it for $3 and change.
Course 3 patterns was the priciest part of everything, each one costing between $5 and $10.
And there you have it! Send it for overnight shipping and hope that the post office doesn't screw up and it gets there before your customer gets on their plane and VOILA! Hahaha.